Thursday, March 11, 2010

If I Can Do It, So Can You...

I know that so far most of my posts have been about deals, coupons, freebies and so on - okay, all of the posts have been about those things! So I thought it might be time to show my readers (all 3 of you) how I've been saving money on my various shopping trips.

Those who know me personally probably know that I love Target. Love it. I go there on my lunch breaks, sometimes stop in after work, weekends - I'm there all the time. In fact, just today I went to the Target that's close to work (a little too close, the hubs says) and was actually recognized by an employee. That made me chuckle.

So, on one of my many trips to Target I noticed a display of Olay Body Wash with a sign that read "Buy 3, Get a $5 Gift Card". I didn't have my coupon stash with me on that trip, but I knew I had some Olay coupons, and planned to go back, coupons in hand, to get the $5 gift card.

Fast forward to today. On my lunch break I had to run to the post office so I decided to pop in to Target as well, and put my Olay plan in action. (TIP: Planning is key when you're shopping with coupons - more on that later.) I had my coupons in hand and was focused and ready to go.

Here is what I purchased:
  • 3 Olay Body Washes @ $5.50 ea = $16.50
  • 1 Venus Embrace Razor, $4.99
  • 1 Up&Up Toddler Wipes Refill pack, $1.37
  • 1 Johnson & Johnson's No More Tangles Shampoo, $3 on sale
  • 1 Oral B kids toothbrush, $1.69
  • 1 Superstar Barbie, $3 (couldn't pass that up) 
Total before any coupons: $30.55

Here is a list of the coupons I used:
  • 2 x $1 off 1 Olay Body Wash
  • 1 Buy Venus Embrace Razor get Olay Body Wash Free ($5.50 savings)
  • $2 off 1 Venus Embrace razor
  • $.75 off 1 Up&Up Baby Wipes (found on another Up&Up product in the baby aisle, a 'peelie')
  • $1/1 Johnson & Johnson Shampoo
  • $.50/1 Oral B Kids Toothbrush (from Sunday circular)
  • $.75/1 Oral B toothbrush, Target Mobile Coupon
Total OOP (out of pocket): $18.05, for a savings of $12.50!

But wait, there's more! Since I bought 3 Olay Body Washes, I received a $5 gift card, which brings my total down to $13.05. And, Olay just happens to be offering a $15 rebate right now, so I'll submit my receipt for that as well. After all is said and done, I basically would have MADE $1.95 on all of this stuff that I bought. How sweet is that?

My point is this: all it takes to save money on stuff you will use is a little planning. Try to resist impulse purchases just because you get a gift card. Wait, see if you can find coupons, and you'll save even more.

I'll be posting more on how easy it is for anyone to save money like this in the coming weeks. A lot of people have been asking me how I do it, and I'm more than happy to share! If this doesn't make sense, or you want more details, please let me know!

Happy bargain hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment