Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Guest Post: MoneySaving Monday...er, Wednesday - Play Dough!


~~~~~~~~~~~~
My sister-in-law Katie always has great ideas and tips on saving money and making the most out of what you have. Today she shares this great post on how to keep your kids entertained on the cheap!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know why I have never made homemade play dough before. The task seemed daunting to me. But once I sucked it up and got the kids involved, it really didn't take that much effort or time. Prep time took maybe 20 minutes and then it was time to play.

Here is the recipe:

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbs vegetable oil
Food color

Mix everything but the food color together over low/ medium heat until it forms a ball. Turn it out on wax paper and when it cools a bit, knead it until smooth and not sticky.

Divide it up and mix in your colors (homeschool moment... What do colors do when you mix them together?).

Store in air tight containers for hours of entertainment!

** I don't know why (maybe Florida humidity) but I had to add about 1/2 cup more flour to my recipe so it wasn't runny**

Initially, you have to fork out a bit of money for the ingredients. Cream of tartar is a little expensive... But you'll be able to make MANY recipes from it. Over time, you will save LOTS of dough (pun intended)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katie is a stay-at-home mom with three of the cutest nieces and nephew I've ever had. She blogs about her family and gives great tips and advice here. She also knits and does other crafty things; check them out at Happy2Knit.

No comments:

Post a Comment